Spirulina is lush with the nutrition and widely consumed around the globe. Mostly the dried pills are widely consumed around the globe. Raw Spirulina has more nutritional value than the dried one.
Due to perishable nature of raw Spirulina, it is not sold in the market. This is the prime reason why the Spirulina needs to be manufactured in the home. Raw Spirulina lasts only three days after harvest on refrigeration.
If everything goes normal then one can expect around 10-gram Spirulina in every one square meter that is 1000 Liter of water.
Available Equipment for Spirulina Cultivation
1. Warm Place with the ample sunlight or artificial lightening
2. Chlorine free water
3. Calcium carbonate, magnesium sulfate, Urea, mono ammonium phosphate, calcium sulfate, Ferrous sulfate, sodium chloride.
5. pH Meter
6. A tank around 20 inches deep or the aquarium
8. Culture seed
9. Fine mesh cloth
The Most Vital Part of Cultivation
pH is vital for the production of the Spirulina. pH needs to be mention at 10 with is alkaline. Acidic pH can destroy the algae and the production can be retired.
Warm temperature needs to mentioned as lower temperature retard the growth. Spirulina grows better at 22 to 32-degree centigrade.
Light is vital for the photosynthesis of the Algae. This needs to be taken seriously as lack of light put hindrance in photosynthesis and can decrease the production. If artificial light is required the intensity needs to b 1000 Lux.
This process is vital in order to assure every Spirulina gets adequate light and carbon dioxide.
In order to start producing the Spirulina culture of the seed is required the most.
1. The tank used for growing Spirulina needs to be cleaned thoroughly. As there are the risks of bacterial contamination.
2. Used the drinking water free from pathogen and toxic metal of any kinds. As the tap water is treated with the chlorine. The chlorine reacts with the Algae and causes the adverse effect. Tap water can be treated with activated carbon to remove the chlorine.
3. pH needs to be mention at 10 by using lime.
4. Place the essential fertilizer and the aerator.
5. Include the seed of the Spirulina.
6. Harvesting takes place around 5 weeks. This is indicated by the thickness of algae. Dip the stick if it not visible after 3 cm it is the time to harvest. After harvest, there is the need to add the nutrient for regrowth of the Algae.